Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fundies say the darndest things

I'm back to thinking about the religion thing again, after watching that horrible documentary last night. When I say horrible I mean the subject matter, not the actual documentary. The documentary itself was very well made.

I was just reading the top 20 "Fundies say the darndest things" list, where one true believer says that teaching evolution encourages rape, murder, theft, etc. His reasoning is that any belief which holds that god does not see our actions, necessarily leads to humans acting violently and immorally. This is a very telling admission from this particular Believer. He is in effect telling us that if he believed his god was not watching him or that his god was not real at all, he would in fact act in the very immoral fashion he so eloquently described in his tirade. If a belief in an invisible sky daddy and going to church is what keeps this asshat from raping and murdering, I want him to continue believing. I want him in church every Sunday. I want him to park his arse in a pew, pick up his hymn book and sing praise to Jesus every week, because obviously his faculty of critical and reasonable thinking has been irreversibly damaged. And if a belief in god is the only thing that keeps him from acting anti-socially then, Praise Jesus, let him have at it. I can only pray that this modern day prophet will be kept out of the gene pool by his own social ineptitude and the world can be free of such a gross and obtuse world-view.

Fundies say the darndest things Website

No comments: